Linda Leist - Children's Ministry Coordinator
(573) 443-3111 email@example.com
Missouri United Methodist Church 204 S. Ninth Street
Columbia, MO 65201
We are a blessed congregation!
Because of the generosity of the Meinerschagen family, we have transformed our Children's Ministry spaces to be more safe, functional and welcoming to all. Here are a few things you can expect to see when Whittler Hall and the Nursery Hallway reopen for Sunday School on July 15:
- Bright colors and a custom "Treehouse" theme allow Whittler Hall and the Nursery Hallway to visually reflect the fun and wonder of our Sunday School curriculum.
- Whittler Hall is safer for Pre-K children with the addition of an enclosed gross motor area and new toys.
- Wayfinding throughout the Pre-K area, The Connector and the Sanctuary entrance make it easier for all families to understand the best way to access our Children's Ministry areas.
- Whittler Hall and Nursery Hallway classrooms are more functional with new furniture, cabinetry, rugs, paint and some even have new flooring.
- Many Pre-K classrooms have headphones and pop-up tents for children with sensory needs. Whittler Hall even has a dedicated sensory-specific classroom equipped with appropriate toys and custom weighted blankets, complements of our own Quilting Ministry.
- For all current families of Pre-K or elementary-age children, and for families who have yet to walk through our doors, this amazing months-long transformation is reinvigorating our Children's Ministry to be stronger and more vibrant.
- We encourage you to show off our new space! Bring friends and family to visit our church so everyone can experience all our Children's Ministry has to offer.
Children’s Ministries offers programs for children from birth through the 5th grade. This includes child care/nursery, Discovery Days Preschool, Sunday School, Children's Church, Vacation Bible School and seasonal family events.
Please check in at the Family Ministries check-in station in the Connector.
Worship, Kids’ Worship! and Serendipity Choir
Sundays @ 9:15am in Whittler Hall
Children participate with their families in worship and then can be dismissed to Kids’ Worship! and choir. If families wish for children to remain in worship, Children’s worship bags are available with activities to help them connect to worship.
Whittler Treehouse Early Childhood Ministry, Studio K-5, Worship
Sundays @ 10:30am
Children begin in a large group video lesson and return to small groups to participate in active learning.
- Infants (Birth-24 mo.) - W7
- Preschool (3 – 4 year) - W3
- Drop-off (all ages)- CLC 103
- Pick up
- K- 2nd Grade- CLC 103
- 3 – 5th Grade- CLC 102
Grace Notes Choir
Sundays @ 6pm in the Chapel (September–May)
Children in grades 2–5 learn together through music.
FX (FAMILY EXPERIENCE OF FAITH EXPRESSIONS)
Wednesdays @ 6pm in CLC 103
Families with children/youth work together to create a Family Experience program to be performed at different times and locations throughout the year. No experience needed. You can help with the performance or work on set design and production. FX is a family experience that is open to ALL. Whether you have young children, youth, grown children, or no children – if you are interested in working on productions to share the Good News – we have a place for you! FX does performances at Not So Frightening Friday, Living Windows, an outreach event (Lenoir) and another Spring production.
Programs & Annual Activities
Discovery Days Preschool
Discovery Days Preschool is a faith-based program of Missouri UMC for toddlers through Pre-K. It operates 9 a.m.-1 p.m. on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays during the school year. For more information on space availability and cost, please contact Courtney Gaunt, director, at 573-875-4886.
VBS (VACATION BIBLE SCHOOL)
Each July we gather together for a fun and exciting week of learning, music, games and crafts. Children ages 4 through those entering Grade 7 are invited to participate. Volunteers’ children younger than age 4 have their own special time. Youth (Grade 8 and up) are invited to help as youth volunteers.
NOT-SO FRIGHTENING FRIDAY (FORMERLY KNOWN AS Halloweenie)
In October we join with the downtown District for a fun-filled Halloween event. Join us at the church for games, prizes and Trunk-or-Treat.
Advent Craft Festival
Families enjoy making crafts to celebrate the season of Advent as we look forward to Christmas and the birth of Christ anew. Come spend some time as a family making crafts geared to all ages and abilities and then stroll through the District to enjoy the Living Windows displays.